WORK WITH US
Learn The Definition of Brand Mentions Online
Summary: Learn the definition of online brand mentions, tools to find them and video tutorials.
What’s the definition of a brand mention (also known as a web mention or online mention) in regards to search engine optimization?
The answer is that brand mentions (web mentions) references a brand without actually linking to it. Brand mentions are most seen in forum posts, blog posts, website comments, news articles and other forms of content.
What Is An Example Of A Successful Brand Mention Or Web Mention?
What makes a successful brand mention (web mention) is to have the brand name associated with the keyword they want to rank for. Below is an example scenario of a successful brand mention (web mention).
A company by the name of Cloverlawn Butterflies provides butterfly release services for weddings. They want to rank higher on Google First Page for the high traffic and revenue producing search term "butterfly release wedding."
A successful brand mention (web mention) would be a statement in a blog post by one of their customers describing their wedding. The brand mention (web mention) that would benefit this company would be "Cloverlawn Butterflies provided us the most beautiful Monarch Butterflies to release for our wedding."
These points below identify why that statement is a great web mention:
- The brand mention (web mention) has the company’s brand name which is "Cloverlawn Butterflies"
- The brand mention (web mention) includes variations of the search term "butterfly release wedding" they want to rank for which are "Butterflies", "release" and "wedding." Note: Google is intelligent enough to relate Cloverlawn with the search term even though it is not an exact match
- The brand mention (web mention) contains a favorable word related to the Company’s brand and search term which is "most beautiful"
- The brand mention (web mention) contains a word that associates with the user intent of the search term. That mention is that they "provided" the butterflies for release. This shows that they sell butterfly release products and services regarding weddings. This shows the user intent is transactional. Transactional user intent means the Company will be associated and ranked for "butterfly release wedding" search terms where people are looking to buy. Such search terms are "buy wedding butterflies"
Brand Mentions (Web Mentions) And Their Importance
Brand mentions (web mentions) are important in showcasing the increasing intelligence and sophistication Google displays interpreting brand authority. With Google understanding the relationship between a search term, a brand and its associated website; ranking websites without link building has elevated to a new level beyond On Page Optimization.
Brand Mentions (Web Mentions) And Google’s Historical Queries
With the advanced intelligence in Google’s algorithm, Google is placing heavy emphasis on what is known as "Historical queries." Historical queries are defined as instances of historic use of specific queries (search terms) in Google and the specific websites people visit in reference to them over time.
Google uses historical queries to determine how popular a website is related to search terms and ranks that website Google First Page or maintains their position on it. With the use of brand mentions (web mentions), Google takes historical queries to a new level by associating a website with the search query (search term) and brand without the power of linking to the actual website.
When Google analyzes that a brand is used consistently and historically related to specific search terms in context and content, it will then begin to rank that website for related search terms without the need of a link back to the respective website. In turn, heavy use of brand mentions (web mentions) provide high relevancy of search terms with specific websites.
Brand Mentions (Web Mentions) And Link Building
Though brand mentions (web mentions) are helping build great authority for websites to rank well in Google, link building is still an important Off-Page Search Engine Optimization strategy to do the same.
Video: Learn How to use Brand Mentions and Link Building
Learn how to find brand mentions to get a link back to your website, by watching the video below.
When a Search Engine Optimization strategy for a website has a strong combination of obtaining both brand mentions (web mentions) and authoritative link building, the results are impressive. With that said, these two strategies can help turn websites into an authoritative website powerhouse.
Brand Mentions (Web Mentions) And Link Building Strategies
Here are a few ways to generate brand mentions (web mentions) that will help rank your website:
- Approach journalists or writers (either a news publication or content website) to write content about your Brand and include brand mentions (web mentions); in the case of the search term "butterfly release weddings"; we contact writers on Wedding Related websites like "The Knot" to include or write about them using web mentions
- Use Public Relation agencies to utilize their expansive network to get web mentions for your Brand
- Use forums, bulletin boards, blog comments and discussion websites (like Reddit) relevant to your Brand and write a brand mention (web mention) for your Brand that provides value
- Participate in Authoritative "Question & Answer" websites like Quora and Yahoo Answers and write a brand mention (web mention) that provides value to readers
- Participate on Social Media websites such as Facebook, Google+, YouTube and Twitter. When mentioning the brands you may want to include hashtags when relevant
- Contribute Guest Posts to websites relevant to brand mentions (web mentions) you want to share. In the case of the search term "butterfly release weddings"; the company would contribute blog posts to Wedding Related websites
Brand Mentions (Web Mentions) And Content Strategies
A sound content marketing strategy can help you build brand mentions (web mentions) effectively and produce long-term results.
Content strategies would compose of articles that cover topics related to your Brands services. These articles would be shared on websites such as blogs (shared as a guest post), user generated content websites (i.e. Quora and Reddit), Article Submission Websites, networking websites such as LinkedIn, news websites such as Forbes, online magazine websites such as Inc, and niche content websites (such as The Knot which revolves around weddings)
In the case of Cloverlawn Butterflies, topics would include wedding related content such as:
- Butterfly Release For Weddings, What You Need To Know
- Bring Nature To Your Wedding With Butterfly Releases
- Why You Need Butterfly Releases For Your Wedding Ceremony
Brand Mention (Web Mention) Tools
Here are tools that specialize in helping you to easily find brand mentions (web mentions) regarding you. These useful brand mention (web mention) tools and their costs are:
- Google Alerts (Monitor the web for brand mention s; cost: no charge)
- Web Mention Tool, Mention (Want to know how your brand is perceived online? Mention gives you everything you need, in a very simple platform; cost: starts at $29/month)
- Hootsuite (find brand mentions in social media; cost: free and premium)
- MediaToolKit (Monitor over 10 million web sites and social networks in real time for your Brand; cost: $21 per topic)
- Brand24 (Get instant access to online mentions, grow customer satisfaction and sales; cost: starts at $49/month)
- Social Mention (Real-time Brand search and analysis; cost: free)
- Awario.com (The Web is talking about your business. Find these conversations and join in; cost: starts at $19/month)
Brand Mention (Web Mention) Video Tutorials & Guides
Here are a variety of videos to help you with Brand Mentions (Web Mentions) such as how to find them and tools you can use to help you.
Video: Learn How to Track Online Mentions of Your Brand
Learn how to track online mentions of your brand, by watching the video below.
Video: Learn How to Monitor Your Brand Online
Learn how to monitor your brand online using free and paid tools, by watching the video below.
Video: Learn How to Track Brand Mentions Using Google Alerts
Learn how to use Google Alerts for tracking brand mentions online, by watching the video below.
Video: Learn How to Setup Google Alerts for your Business
Learn how to setup Google Alerts for your business to track and find your brand mentions, by watching the video below.
Video: Learn How to Use Online Brand Monitoring Tools
Learn how to use a variety of tools to track mentions of your brand online. Use Google Alerts, Twitter, and Social Customer Relationship Management tools (Nimble) to see how your brand is mentioned online.
Brand Mentions (Web Mentions) Overview & Conclusion
- Use brand mentions (web mentions) effectively by utilizing news websites, guest posting, forums, social media, bulletin boards and a wide variety of websites to build your websites authority
- Keep building links in addition to brand mentions (web mentions) so you maximize your online authority and visibility in Google
- Use effective content marketing strategies to share content that mentions your brand as well as contain link backs to your website
- Provide relevant and engaging content on your website to keep your bounce rate low and engagement high. Google tracks all that information (when Google Analytics and Search Console is implemented) to rank your website in its search engine
- Keep your On Page Search Engine Optimization in great shape so you maximize the effect of your brand mentions (web mentions) and link backs to your website making it an authority in the eyes of Google
All in all keep your website valuable to those who use it, optimize it to target your demographic and use brand mentions (web mentions) and back links to reinforce your websites authority.
Doing a combination of all these things you will be heavily rewarded by Google as you obtain more website traffic, quality leads and customers.
Sacramento SEO Company ZrysMedia
ZrysMedia is a top performing Sacramento based SEO company who helps Clients obtain large amounts of quality leads and revenue from Google.com search results and other Internet channels monthly.